Safety Rules & Emergency

Know what to do if there is a fire in your building

The best way for you to stay safe is to know what to do if there is a fire in your home or elsewhere in your building. You need to make sure that everybody who lives in your home knows what to do should a fire happen.

Read the JMB/ London Fire Brigade advice about what to do if there is a fire.

Keep escape routes and common areas safe

We all need to keep landings, stairs, walkways and other common areas cleared of anything that could burn or could stop people from getting out of the building if there was a fire. If you see anything that is in the way of a walkway, landing or other common area contact the JMB office immediately.

The rule is that there must be at least a 3 foot space to walk through. This is so people with pushchairs or wheelchairs can get past.

The JMB will insist that any objects placed in walkways that block or reduce the space to more than one property are removed. This includes bikes, prams, washing lines and plants. (Note: This does NOT include doormats).

If we find things in the way of escape routes

If we find any objects that reduce the space to more than one house to less than 3 feet we will ask you to remove them.

If you do not remove items then we will put a sticker on them giving a deadline for the item to be removed or disposed of. We will dispose of any items that are not disposed of after this deadline. If we think an item is an immediate risk to safety then we may remove it without notice.

We will take more expensive items – such as new bikes – that are causing obstructions into store. We may charge £25 for retrieval of these items. We will not repay the costs of damaged bike locks or any damage caused in removing the item.

Storing material that could burn easily

Certain materials – including paint, paraffin, gas cylinders can make fires much worse. These items must not be stored inside your home or in a shed or garage that is an integral part of a building (ie not in a separate block).

If you have paint, paraffin, gas cylinders or any other flammable material in any of these areas they need to be cleared immediately. If you have any questions about this or need help in disposing of materials contact the JMB office.

The storage of these materials is prohibited in the Tenancy Agreement. Section 11(4): “The tenant must not store or use in the premises including the communcal areaas, private balcony, store or garage which is an integral part of the dwelling house any liquid petroleum and paraffin (eg calor gas) clyninders or dangerous chemicals, gases or materials or any other inflammable materials or gases.

We will not allow combustible materials to be left or stored on landings or common areas. Items left on any communal landing or area will be removed without further notice.


One of the biggest fire risks in a block can be rubbish. Rubbish should never be left outside the door of your flat – it should always be taken down to the rubbish bin or placed in chutes (if these are available).

The JMB can arrange for removal of large items of rubbish (eg beds, sofas). If you have large rubbish that needs collecting please contact the JMB office.

Metal 'security' gates fitted to front doors

Many residents – both tenants and home owners – have extra gates outside their front doors.

While we understand these gates give added security to your home, they can also make it very difficult to escape in the event of a fire.

If you have a security gate outside your front door please make sure that this is NOT locked when anyone is in your home.

The JMB is currently in discussion with London Fire Brigade and Southwark Council about the long term future of these gates. It is possible that all extra gates will have to be removed from properties. We will keep all residents informed about these discussions.

If you ever smell gas or fumes

- Turn the gas off at the meter
- Open all doors and windows
- Don’t use electrical switches
- Call National Grid Gas Emergency Services immediately on 0800 111 999 (free from landlines)

It is important that any gas appliances in your home are safe and working properly.

JMB Manager Andy Bates explained:

“Any one who has a gas fire, gas boiler or gas cooker in their home must make sure that it is safe. This is crucial to protect both the people who live in the home and their neighbours.

“We make sure that everyone who rents from the JMB must have all their gas applicances serviced every year to keep them safe and insist that everybody takes part in these inspections.

“If people have bought their home then it is their responsibility to make sure they have their gas appliances regularly checked and maintained. People who fail to do this are not only putting themselves and their neighbours at risk, but they are likely to be breaching the terms of their lease.”

We have recently had discussions with London Fire Brigade and Southwark Council to ensure our fire advice is up to date

To keep you safe in your home, the JMB is asking all residents to follow some simple rules.

If you have any other questions about fire safety for your block please contact the JMB office.

If you rent from the JMB

The JMB protects the safety of everyone who rents from them by making sure tenants have an annual gas safety check.

All tenants must allow engineers in to carry out the safety checks. Because this is such an important safety issue, if you do not let the engineer into your home, we are allowed to force entry to ensure the checks are done.

If you are ever concerned about a gas appliance then contact the JMB office.

If you can smell gas or fumes you must immediately follow the advice above.

If you have bought your home

People who have bought their home are responsible themselves for making sure that all gas appliances in their home are safe and regularly checked.

If you do not have your gas appliances checked then you are putting everyone who lives in your home and your neighbours at risk. You are also likely to be putting yourself in breach of your lease.

If you need advice about gas servicing, please contact the JMB Office.

If you rent your home from somebody else

It is the responsibility of your landlord to make sure all your gas appliances are properly serviced. Ask your landlord for details of when the gas checks were last done.

Further advice
One of the biggest risks from faulty gas appliances is that they give off carbon monoxide gas. This can easily kill people.

You can give yourself extra reassurance against carbon monoxide poisoning by getting a carbon monoxide detector. There are various types of carbon dioxide detectors available in the shops.

For further advice about servicing and gas safety go to the Gas Safe Register website.