Repairs to your home

The JMB has a responsibility to make sure your home is in a reasonable condition. If something is broken or not working in your home then – depending on the problem – the JMB may have to fix it.

If you need a repair

If your home needs a repair please call the office on 020 7450 8000 and provide the following details:

You also have a responsibility to look after your home. Certain minor repairs are your own responsibility and the JMB will not carry out these repairs for you. We will arrange to carry out any repair to your home covered in the tenancy agreement. There may be some repairs that you will be responsible for, examples are listed below. Please refer to the tenancy handbook for full details or contact the repairs team at the office who will be happy to offer advice.

Secondary Repairs

Secondary repairs are damage and disrepair caused to a resident’s home by factors outside their property – for example damaged cause by a water leak from a roof or from another property. As a matter of policy, The JMB will only carry out those repairs for which it has an explicit responsibility. This principally includes:

Home insurance

We do not insure your furniture, belongings and decorations against theft, fire, vandalism or burst pipes and leaks. We strongly advise you take out household contents insurance.

You can insure your belongings under a special household contents scheme arranged through any national insurance provider. Contact the JMB office for details of the insurance schemes that the JMB and Southwark Council offer to residents.

If you are a leaseholder you are legally responsible for maintaining your property and can be responsible for the cost of repairing damage to other people’s homes caused by maintenance problems such as water leaks.

NOTE: The insurance that leaseholders are required to get as part of the terms of their lease does not cover these risks, nor does it cover the contents of your own home.

If you have any questions about a problem in your home contact the JMB office or e-mail, if the problem is not urgent.